Tuesday, August 5, 2008

santa fe summer

Than and I are back from a wonderful and much needed weekend away in Santa Fe.







We had much to reflect on and celebrate – one year of marriage, one year of Texas, the gift of community, the opportunity to study, and God’s ongoing provision and care in our lives. Thanks to the generous support of our families, we enjoyed a carefree weekend. I didn’t think about our budget once!


Santa Fe is a great city to visit. Our B&B was a block away from the historic Plaza.




So, once we parked our car, we spent the rest of the weekend walking and wandering through the narrow streets.



Friday night we dined at Aqua Santa – an intimate restaurant where food is freshly prepared in an open kitchen. We sat outside in the rustic courtyard framed by large Japanese lanterns and flowing vines. This restaurant has no pretense, only commitment and passion for excellent food. It was perfect. I had fresh soft-shell crab. I ordered without hesitation, but once my food came I realized that I didn’t know how to eat soft shell crab. I gave it my best guess eating most of the shell and the body but leaving the legs. It was an interesting experience to say the least – delicious, but I don’t think I’ll be eating it again anytime soon. Let’s just say I began to over-think what was going into my mouth.


There was a bit of awkwardness throughout the weekend as apparently our tastes run 20 years older than our age. Everywhere we went --- our B&B, dinner, shopping --- we were by far the youngest customers. This makes for a lot of awkward interactions with staff.


Saturday night, we enjoyed drinks and southwestern appetizers on the rooftop cantina at the celebrated Coyote Café. Cheaper with great food and fun atmosphere, we finally felt our age. The BBQ duck quesadilla and the hibiscus-tea-ni were some of my favorites!


We finished the weekend off with two trips to Tara’s Organic Ice Cream --- the most amazing ice cream you will ever taste! I sampled the cardamom and chocolate tarragon flavors. Than had cinnamon and Turkish coffee. Mmmmmm.

Cheers to one year of marriage!

No comments: