Wednesday, May 7, 2008

women are cool too

It always bothered me that when I stopped to think about my greatest heroes they were mostly men. It’s not that I didn’t admire or respect women because some of the most influential people in my life are women. It is just that I had a hard time finding a recognizable female equivalent to Nelson Mandela or Desmond Tutu, for example. Yet, my experience tells me that it was countless “ordinary” and extraordinary women who propelled all of the great movements in history. As a feminist, I feel really embarrassed about this confession and my own contradictions.

However, recently, women have been on my mind. I have been following this election closely and I have been stunned by the poise, sheer gustiness, and brilliant acumen of several women. First, I have come to admire and respect Hillary Clinton. The woman knows her stuff --- and I, like the rest of the public, found myself grudgingly respecting her tenacity and resolve. Second, I think my new hero is Michelle Obama.

When I see Michelle Obama, by herself or with Barack, I see a woman who is strong, confident, and shrewd. She is a woman who speaks directly out of the core of who she is. Hillary is commendable, Michelle is down right stunning. You can see it reflected in her relationship with Barack as well. Their relationship clearly is forged out of deep mutual respect for one another and balance. They negotiate. They take responsibility for their own selves and advocate for each other. They strengthen one another out of their individual strength. Michelle is not afraid of embracing her femininity, her strength, her intelligence, her role as a wife and mother, her passion, and her sense of calling and vocation. In fact, when I listen to Barack and Michelle together, I’m increasingly more captivated by Michelle.

There are other women worth noting as well --- commentators and pundits. I watch CNN, and I have to say that I am very impressed with Gloria Borger, Donna Brazil, and Campbell Brown. Melissa Harris-Lacewell – political science prof/activist from Princeton – pretty much rocks. She is a woman who is not ashamed to love herself, love her community, use her mind, and act. And then there’s my favorite blogger: anxious black woman.

Just a little taste of Michelle, in time for mother’s day!

No comments: