It’s May Day! Than’s wearing his red hammer and sickle shirt. I’m celebrating redistribution of wealth, as I discover $1200 has landed in my bank account thanks to the government.
Than and I owe a lot to Marx. Without Marx, we never would have met. Our fateful paths crossed on that one and only day we both attended Marxism class. Incidentally, the class was taught bya conservative faculty member of SPU's political science department.
I was fresh from South Africa and passionate about ideas of economic justice, redistribution, and reconciliation. Given Than’s mohawk and presence in the class, I just assumed he was as interested in progressive politics as I was.
My assumptions turned out to be wrong, at least initially. But so were Than’s. In those first few weeks, we were fascinated, delighted, and intrigued by the apparent contradictions we found in one another. A year later, we were not quite as amused.
Over the years, our politics and positions have mellowed out a bit on both spectrums. We used to fight a lot about politics. At times, I even wondered if I could marry someone who didn’t share my same values. I tend to take politics very personally, and my values are central to who I am. But now I have to laugh at all the energy expended worrying about this. We grew up.
These days, I’m equally amazed, delighted, and intrigued by the ways we find common ground through our unique perspectives. Than the philosopher. Rachel more the prophet. Both of us hate easy labels. Both of us are constantly struggling to change and grow. And I think this quality in both of us -- though at times it leads us to different conclusions -- has given us a deep respect for each other. We know the other person isn’t going to stay where they are at. So, now, I’ve just learned to relax and give Than a bit more credit because contrary to my own opinion, I’m not always right. And though our journeys are different, we both usually end up in the same place. I love when this happens because it usually is based not on cajoling or fighting, but on independent and quiet movement and thinking within our own selves. In the process, we sharpen one another, and it feels like divine confirmation that we were created for one another!
Awwww, I’m getting mushy. But that’s what May Day is all about. Cheers to Marx and spring!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yay for May day - even though I am writing this 4 days too late. You and Than are too cute.
Maybe to enjoy the benefits of the govt. redistribution of wealth - you might want to consider donating 10$ or something to the HRC. Think of how nice it was to get that big check. Then think of how unfair it is that thousands of couples in the USA don't get the same. So yeah - maybe a small redistribution of your own wealth wouldn't hurt to help get the same benifits for everyone. Just a suggestion....
Post a Comment