After receiving some exciting news last week – I’ve been accepted into graduate school!!! - the wait continues. Here is what I do know: I have been accepted into the PHD program in Religious Studies at Rice University. I applied to the African Religions concentration with a goal of studying under Dr. Elias Bongmba. His work combines all the things I love: theology, continental philosophy, social theory, Africa.
Anyway, it’s been nice to feel unexpected confirmation of my gifts and abilities. Despite the uncertainty of the future – we are still waiting to hear from all the other schools we applied to – I am hopeful about the future. I’m very excited to get back into the classroom and devote the next few years of my life to study.
I wrote a few months ago about my longing to live in an urban and diverse environment. Well, if we do end up moving to Houston, it will be an unexpected answer to prayer. Houston is very diverse and the fifth largest city in the US. Very exciting! I already checked and they have an Ethiopian restaurant.
But for now, I am trying to hold these things with open hands. Even in this waiting period, I feel held, hopeful, and taken care of. I know the path ahead will emerge. And I'm looking forward to what will come.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Of course - leave it to you to be excited about the Ethiopian Restaurant. ;) haha.
So does that mean Red and I can come visit you guys in Houston if you move there? lol.
Wow! Congratulations! I'm smiLing. : ) I look forward to hearing more & am so thankful you will have access to Ethiopian food. Thank God! : ) Love, beCcA
Is Rice your first choice? I'm curious what schools you will be choosing between. Studying under Dr. Elias Bongbma sounds very exciting!
Well, right now, I don't have any other choices to speak of because I haven't heard anything else from any other schools. Rice was in my top 4. The other contenders are Duke Divinity, Yale Divinity, and University of Virginia. Duke and Yale are both MTS programs, so it is attractive to think about going directly into a PHD program. UVA seems a long shot ---- had now idea how prestigious it actually is. So, I can safely say that I am very excited about Rice.
Post a Comment