Monday, April 21, 2008

sexual assault awareness

For those who know me, I think a lot about violence, power and abuse, particularly as it intersects with race and gender. As April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month, I find that I have been wrestling a lot with questions of agency and healing because I have to believe that CHANGE is possible.

That being said, below are two interesting articles of note:

1) Ending Violence Against Women
Written by black man who himself was an abuser, this post is so hopeful because it speaks to the possibility of change and redemption. This article speaks to the reality that violent men can be transformed into powerful advocates as their own cultural mindset is challenged and their hearts are transformed.


2) Rape and Race: We Have To Talk About It

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't have time at the moment to look at the articles - but I will when I get a free moment. I too - feel very strongly about sexual assault.

Two weeks ago - on grounds we celebrated a weeklong awareness called "Take Back the Night". We held a vigil for the survivors of abuse and sexual assualt and it was very powerful. I think sometimes people forget that this is more prevalent than it appears. Its time to stop sweeping it under the public view and bring it to light.

Thanks for posting about it though. I am glad you are aware and trying to start dialouge...

love to you..