Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The Bitter Truth of Iraq

This article pretty much sums up my feelings on the current situation in Iraq. I've thought it over many times and because of the vulnerable situation of Iraqi civilians, I can't bring myself to back the political rhetoric of immediate withdrawal, despite my opposition to the war. I believe the American people have a responsibility to recognize our complicity in creating the violent, chaotic and destructive situation in Iraq, and thus an ethical duty towards the restoration and rebuilding of Iraq, while somehow respecting and recognizing Iraqi sovereignty. I find much of the Democratic rhetoric around immediate withdrawal as completely self-absorbed, self-aggrandizing, and nationalistic as the rhetoric on the right. I am infuriated by those on the right and left who are frustrated with the government in Iraq and feel as if it is our right to call for a regime change or "timely" improvement as if Iraq is America's plaything (it's just not working out like we planned, what happened?). It's also convenient scapegoating. And since the beginning of this war, the cost has always been most deeply to the Iraqi people. I don't know what the course should be for the future, but I do think we owe it to the Iraqi people to listen to their needs and support them at all costs in meeting these needs. I believe that fundamentally, most Iraqis want what most human beings want: security and stability without the constant threat of violence. I know our occupation of Iraq incites violence, but I can't help but think that if we withdrew now the level of violence would be catastrophic. My analysis is probably biased in its own way, and incredible naive...but that's why I value news stories that actually try to report the story of Iraq from the perspective of those who live there because in almost all political debates, this perspective is absent.

If you know of more ways to hear these voices, please let me know.

No comments: